Panda & Penguin Updates
The purpose of this article is to inform you of all the Panda, Penguin & possible Zebra updates.
Sections in this article
Did somebody steel your bamboo?
Google's Panda updates are intended to increase the relevancy of pages that you find in the search engines that have good quality unique content. Penalising thin content scrapper and affiliate sites that just embed feeds in the hope of making a few pounds from doing very little work. So, if your site is guilty of the points below then you could be in trouble.
- Poor thin pages on your site (No quality)
- Duplicate content
- Cookie cutter pages with only keywords changed
- Content farms (scrapping other people's stuff!)
- Panda Update 1.0 - February 24th 2011
- Panda Update 2.0 - April 11th 2011
- Panda Update 2.1 - May 10th 2011
- Panda Update 2.2 - June 16th 2011
- Panda Update 2.3 - July 23rd 2011
- Panda Update 2.4 - August 12th 2011
- Panda Update 2.5 - September 28th 2011
- Panda Update 2.5.1 - October 9th 2011
- Panda Update 2.5.2 - October 13th 2011
- Panda Update 2.5.3 - October 19th 2011
- Panda Update 3.1: - November 18th 2011
- Panda Update 3.2 - January 18th 2012
- Panda Update 3.3 - February 28th 2012
- Panda Update 3.4 - March 23rd 2012
- Panda Update 3.5 - April 19th 2012
- Panda Update 3.6 - April 27th 2012
- Panda Update 3.7 - June 8th 2012
- Panda Update 3.8 - June 25th 2012
- Panda Update 3.9 - July 25th 2012
- Panda Update 3.91 - Aug 20th 2012
- Panda Update 3.92 - Sep 18th 2012
- Panda Update 3.93 / 4 / 20 (Who knows!)- Sep 27th 2012
- Panda Update 21 (Guess it's 21 then)- Nov 06th 2012
- Panda Update 22 - Nov 21st 2012
- Panda Update 23 - Dec 21st 2012
- Panda Update 24 - Jan 22nd 2013
- Panda Update 25 - Mar 15th 2013
- Panda Update 26 - May 20th 2014
- Panda Update 27 - Sept 25th 2014
You can read my Panda Recovery Guide here...
Have you been incubated or eradicated?
Google's Penguin updates came down hard on websites that have been over optimising their websites, mainly on the back linking front. Hundreds of links from high page rank irrelevant sites pointing to the same page with the same anchor text, is only going to cause you problems going forward. So, if your site is guilt of the points below then you could be in trouble.
- Sploging (Spam blog comments)
- Linking schemes and links that add no value
- Using exact match domains as doorways to your main site
- Using exact match anchor text excessively (This is not natural)
- Keyword stuffing
- Penguin Update 1.0 - April 24th 2012
- Penguin Update 1.1 - May 25th 2012
- Penguin Update 1.2 - October 5th 2012
- Penguin Update 2.0 - May 23rd 2013
- Penguin Update 2.1 (5) - October 4th 2013
- Penguin Update 3.0 (6) - October 17th 2014
Is it time to change your stripes?
This will be the year when external anchor text & links start to hold less value than before.
The united colours of Google. To be continued...
What's your SEO score?
Use these free sites to
website and show you
room for improvement
Monitor your keyword
positions in Google and
track their rise and fall. Show me
Track keyword competition
and search volumes using
Are your website visitors
having to wait more
than 2 seconds for
your pages to load?
Free web browser plugins that
will make your SEO efforts
a whole lot easier.